Sunday, April 17, 2011

It's Just A Drag

I'm wondering how easily I can get out of my "It's Just Lunch" matchmaking services contract. I joined just over a month ago, for a six-month membership. Big bucks were paid, so I thought I could have expectations and demands above what I was asking on Match.com. I had a wish list of three things.

1) he lives 30 minutes from my house
2) he's between 47-54
3) he's at least 6' tall

I know, I know, I don't want any grief from any of you about the height thing. I'm not small, and I like wearing 7" heels. If I really got to have it all my way he'd be at least 6'3" but we're in California, not the Rockies, so I'm flexible (obviously).

Week 1: nothing.

Week 2: "Hey Wendy, this is Sarah from It's Just Lunch. We have a date for you. We think he's perfect. He lives in San Jose [nearly two hours from my house], he's 56, and is 5'11"."

"Um... no."

Week 3: "Hey Wendy, it's Sarah. Okay, we got you someone. He's 37, lives in Walnut Creek [suburbs an hour and a half from my house], loves to play golf, and is 5'10".

"Um... no."

Week 4: "Hey Wendy, Sarah again. Okay, he's 43, 5'10", lives in Moraga" (an hour and a half from my house).

"Sarah, I'm gonna stop you right there. Here's the deal. You're striking out three out of three on every man you've given me. Are you telling me that It's Just Lunch doesn't have a single man over the age of 47 in San Francisco? I'm gonna pass again, and I'm hoping you can at least hit one of my requirements. This is a matchmaking service, yes?

"Hi Wendy, I have someone really great for you. He's 57, lives in San Carlos [an hour from my house], and is 6' tall."

What I said: "Fine Sarah, set it up."

What I wished I'd said: "Fine Sarah, fucking fine. I'm saying yes because you've worn me down."

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States
Who am I? I am a retired dater. I sifted through the thousands of "matches" online; met strangers for coffee, a drink or a meal when really, mostly I wanted to be napping.

On the good dates, I loved the adventure and the thrill of not knowing how it would all turn out. The daydream of a possible shared future with this human.

On the bad dates, I was willing to take one for the team – for you - for your enlightenment and entertainment.

Through my trials and tribulations, self-expression and willingness to reveal raw human experiences and vulnerabilities, this blog was created.

Followers