Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Date #90 - "Did I Mention I Have Six Kids?"

His Age: 47
His City: Two (Oakland and Wine Country)
Setting: Brick and Bottle - Corte Madera

So "It's Just Lunch" (IJL) has this policy, where they set you up on the date by making a reservation at a restaurant with both of your first names only. The staff are instructed to bring separate checks, so dates pay dutch, and no one knows anyone's name, to cut back on the stalking opportunities if you're not a match. The whole dual-name reservation scheme is brilliant! One doesn't have to look for the other at the bar, and make mistakes with strangers. This policy is also awesome since IJL doesn't let you see your date prior to the actual date itself.

I arrive at the hostess table (do we still call them hostess tables?). "Hi, I have a reservation for Wendy & Ken."
"He's here. This way, please."
I'm one minute late, so I'm not surprised. As I stroll behind the host, I can see I'm being led to the back, where there are three empty tables, and one table with a single man, waiting for company. He's at least 68 years of age, seriously overweight, glasses, red-faced, and jowly. Okay... here we go again!

As the host spread open his palm in that "Vanna White" arm-sweep, guiding me toward the table, I asked, "Ken?"

"No!" the single man said.

The host swiftly put me at a single table right next to him, and apologized softly to me for the mistake.

I pretended to read the wine list while I waited...

Moments later a handsome man approaches my table apologizing for being late. I thought we were having drinks, but before I knew it - after a quick confirmation that I drink wine and eat appetizers - he'd ordered a bottle of wine, and food. We settled in quickly, covering topics taboo to first dates. Once hearing I'm from Utah, he wanted to know if I was Mormon and began to discuss religion. He pressed what happened in my divorce and shared with me his divorce story. And we talked about discussing politics since this would be three of three, but then we got busy talking about other things.

He's handsome, but he's not my typical type. I'm intrigued. I think we can have a lot of fun together. And there's something to him - he could give me a real run for my money, I think.

He broke the rules and picked up the tab. (He's a rebel that way.) He asked for my number, and I happily provided it. Before I got out of the parking lot, I got a text thanking me for a great night. Thank you, IJL. You did me right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
San Francisco, CA, United States
Who am I? I am a retired dater. I sifted through the thousands of "matches" online; met strangers for coffee, a drink or a meal when really, mostly I wanted to be napping.

On the good dates, I loved the adventure and the thrill of not knowing how it would all turn out. The daydream of a possible shared future with this human.

On the bad dates, I was willing to take one for the team – for you - for your enlightenment and entertainment.

Through my trials and tribulations, self-expression and willingness to reveal raw human experiences and vulnerabilities, this blog was created.

Followers